Step 5: Wiring Instructions
WARNING! To avoid possible electrical shock, before wiring fan, disconnect power by turning off the circuit breakers both to the outlet box and to its associated wall switch location. If you cannot lock the circuit breakers in the "OFF" position, securely fasten a prominent warning device, such as a tag, to the service panel.
NOTE: Before you do the final wiring, you should decide how you want to control your fan - with a pull cord, a wall switch or a speed control. At this point, you should also decide if you want to add a light adapter kit. Separate wiring instructions for Hunter accessories are included in the accessory packages.
1. Connect the black electrical supply lead to the black motor lead and the black with white stripe motor lead. (See Note below.)
2. Connect the white electrical supply lead to the white motor lead.
3. Connect the ground wire to the green screw on the side of the hanger bracket. See Figure 8.
NOTE: If a separate wall switch will be used to control a lighting accessory, connect the black wire with the white stripe to the wall switch lead, following the wiring instructions included with the accessory. The wall switch must be a listed general-use switch.
4. After making the wire connections, the wires should be spread apart with the white and green wires on one side of the outlet box, and the black and black with white stripe wires on the other side of the box.
CAUTION! No bare wires or wire strands should be visible after making connections.
5. The splices should be turned upward and pushed carefully up into the outlet box.